I'm helping a friend with a Harry Potter birthday party this week and it's been so fun that I'm tempted to throw one for my birthday come November! :) `
To make the sorting hat:
1. I sketched out what I'd like to incorporate. I'm visual, so getting an good idea of dimensions helped me.
2. After I had a vision of what I wanted, I crafted the inner form out of a construction paper; but you could just use an old witch's hat.
3. I glued strips of paper bags all over the form with ModPodge. I used a rubber band around the top to hold it in place to dry as I layered on the base.
4. For the face, I folded small pieces (accordion style) for the eyebrows and then put long strips (folded in half to give dimension) for the mouth.
5. After everything was dry (I let it sit for an afternoon), I wrinkled the top to let it sag over.
Very simple to do, especially if you work on it while watching Doctor Who. :) I'll be sharing the wands I made later.